Monday, July 15, 2013

A Hospital Stay

So here's the quick run through...
Madelynn first threw up on a Wednesday night while she slept.  She was fine all day Thursday.  She threw up again in her sleep Thursday night.  Friday morning she threw up again.  All the way to La Grande she threw up.  Friday night was okay but she wouldn't eat anything.  Saturday she almost acted as if she was never sick.  She was happy and ate a great lunch.  Saturday night she stopped eating again.  Then in the night she threw up a lot.  Sunday she threw up multiple times.  I finally called the doctor Sunday afternoon and talked to an advice nurse.  She gave me lots of things to watch for and lots of things to try.  Monday she threw up a few times and couldn't keep anything down.  I call the doctor again and talked to an advice nurse.  She basically told me all the same old stuff but wasn't concerned enough to have us come in.  Tuesday morning she woke up with a fever, a little more throwing up, and now very lethargic.  I called the doctor for the third time and spoke to another advice nurse who finally made us an appointment for 1:30 that afternoon.  I went in with a very sick baby, saw a doctor we had never been to before and got told to head on down to the hospital.  My mom watches Carter, I head down to the hospital, and Jay meets us down there shortly after that.  Thank goodness!  I was beyond ready to do something that would help my girl feel better.  I knew she had to be dehydrated but I really didn't know how bad she was.
 

Carter and Grandma came down to visit after we got settled and they got her IV started.  The IV process went fairly smoothly but it is torture watching your baby girl screeming and being poked with a needle.  Thankfully it all worked the first time!  They were even able to get some blood for her blood work while doing the IV.  After that they put a bag in her diaper to catch her pee and then we were able to just snuggle with her.  She was so miserable!  She snoozed on and off on us in the rocking chair.  I was so glad to know that fluids were finally getting in her and she seemed to be done throwing up finally. 
 

Snuggling with daddy.  This melted me.
 

She hated her arm being all wrapped up.  They had to do this so that she wouldn't pull the IV out.  It was so sad!  She was a trooper though.  She slept through the night in the crib and even completely slept through the nurse checking on her three times.  I couldn't believe it.  I was assuming we would be up all night.
 






Carter let her have his puppy (after much persuasion) and she did not want to let him go.
 

They had this tricycle in the hall and Carter had a great time riding around the halls.
 

Her sugar level was low so they gave her popsicles to bring that number up a bit.  She was okay with that. 
 

She slept through the night even with being bugged by nurses three times in the night.  She woke up the next morning soaked in pee!  Praise the Lord.  It's like she peed everything that she should have peed over the last five days.  She literally woke up a different girl.  She wanted food, she was sitting up and happy.  Her smile started coming back.  I was one relieved mama.  Grandpa (my dad) came and visiting in the morning and she got to snuggle with him.  She was doing her normal shoulder shrug with her head tilt and big smile.  We had our girl back! 


We just got told we could go home!  Woohoo!  Our stay in the hospital was beyond worth it!  Dr. Wilson came in in the morning and checked her out.  He went over her lab work with us and told us that some of her levels were very off.  One of them he said that he sends kids to the hospital when it gets to a 19 and hers was 15.  She was one sick little girl.  I am beyond thankful for my mama instincts.  The doctor at the pediatricians office gave me the choice to go down to the hospital or to do lab work at their office.  I said I wanted to take her to the hospital because I just felt like all she needed was some fluids.  Dr. Wilson told me that morning that we made the right decision.  She would have been sent to the hospital no matter what.  We were able to just check right in instead of going through the ER and I am thankful for that.  Everything went smoothly and she made a quick recovery after that! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment