Friday, April 24, 2015

And our family is complete!

Mason Henry Hinderks is here!  On April 8th, we welcomed (surprisingly) Mason into our family.  We had a C-section scheduled for April 24th but my body had other plans.  I had been dealing with high blood pressure for a few weeks.  I went in for an routine appointment on April 2nd and my doctor was not pleased with my blood pressure so she sent me in to the hospital to have a non stress test done.  I had done quite a few of those with Carter so I knew what to expect.  As I was leaving her office to head to the hospital though she asked me if I had eaten breakfast.  I replied yes and asked why.  She said because you might be having a baby today.  Huh.  That was a little surprising.  However, things looked pretty good for the test and she said to just go home and be on modified bed rest.  That still makes me giggle since I have two young kids at home.  But I did the best I could.  One week later (April 8th) I went back in for another routine check.  She checked my blood pressure first thing (174/110) and then responded with "you are having a baby today."  She told me it was more dangerous to keep Mason in at that point then to get him out 3 weeks and 2 days early.  So I walked out of the office, made a few phone calls (like my husband who was working) and drove to the hospital.  I was checked in by about 12:30 pm and at 5:15ish they walked me back to the operating room.  At 5:54 pm I heard the beautiful cry of my sweet baby boy and seconds later he was placed on my chest.  I got to hold him for at least 20 minutes while the doctor finished me up.  This was the first baby that they let me hold immediately.  The hospital is allowing it now as a new way of doing C-sections.  I loved it.  It took all of my fear and anxiety away as I laid there being stitched back up to hold my baby in my arms.  He was perfect. 


Mason weighed 6 pounds 10 ounces and was 19.5 inches long.  He was healthy and ready to come out.  Praise the Lord.  I was worried about his lungs since he was so early but he was perfect. Carter and Madelynn were so excited to meet him and loved holding him whenever they could.  The delivery was smooth and easy and probably my easiest surgery so far.  Recovery has been a little harder but the actual C-section went great.  Mason is already 16 days old.  The first 12 days or so he slept probably 22 out of the 24 hours in each day.  He nursed great right from the beginning and slept through the night except when we would wake him up to feed him.  He was super sleepy from being so early and little.  But he latched perfect right away and has been a good eater (when he can stay awake) the whole time.  This week he is starting to wake up a lot more during the day and night which is making night time a little less enjoyable for me.  Last night he woke up every two hours all night long to eat.  It takes at least 30 minutes to feed each time so I was getting short bouts of sleep in between each feeding.  Having a newborn is not for the faint of heart.  But he is precious.  He has such a sweet spirit about him.  He is calm and snuggly and doesn't cry that often.  He has my heart and the heart of anyone who holds him.  He is just the sweetest! 


We are so thankful he is here!  Today was the day I was supposed to be having him.  It is crazy to think that I should be in the hospital right now delivering my baby and yet he is already 16 days old.  I am so thankful for God's plan and his amazing protection over my family.  Mason officially completes our family and I feel an overwhelming sense of peace and contentment in that.  I know that feeling is only from the Lord because I have wanted four kids my entire life.  And yet, today, in this moment, I know that our family is complete and I do not feel sad about that.  I am rejoicing in the fact that God has given us three beautiful healthy children and for that I am unbelievable grateful! 


I'll be back soon to post about Carter and Madelynn's birthdays! 

No comments:

Post a Comment